Shop for your school supplies at Amazon.com, click on the Amazon ad below or the link/ad on the right column of this page, and the SMS PTA will earn percentage of you final purchase.
This Costs You nothing.
SMS PTA is an Amazon Associate! We earn a commission on everything you buy, when you start your shopping through this website! There are no added costs.
It’s easy! Click on Amazon ad below. You’ll be transferred to Amazon.com, and they’ll know you came from smsparents.org. Tell your family, friends and work colleagues. Talk to you fellow SMS parents, pool your purchasing power, and the PTA will benefit, and it will cost you absolutely nothing.
There’s never been an easier way to support the SMS PTA!
The PTA Held Expedited Elections Today, June 26th, to Elect Co-Presidents!
Here is the PTA Executive Board for 2014-2015 School Year.
Congratulations to —
• Co-Presidents: Michelle Marquez and Luis Ugaz
• Co-Vice Presidents: Orli Shaham, Emmy Gay and Sara Vogeler
• Co-Treasurers: Lauren Flowers and Ken Pantoga
• Co-VP’s Fundraising: Jennifer Laing, Jhoanna Wade and Tranice Jackson
• Co-VP’s Music Volunteering: Fiona Wilkes, Teresa Jones and Dara Glanville
• Secretary: Lisa Stump
• Co-Recording Secretaries: Nadia Belmonte, Kenya Massey-Rodriguez, Lisa Matricardi and Lillie Brinkman
• Members at-Large: Stephanie Rambler, Yvonne Lau, Shaliza Kline, Jill Jones, Jessica Rothstein, Janet Axelrod, Yuleima Gonzalea, Alex España, Amelia DeMayo, Priscilla Alba, Natanya Freed and Annette España
• SLT Rep K-2: Diane Napier
• SLT Rep 3-5: Natanya Freed
• SLT Rep 6-8: Rina Kofman
• SLT Parent at-Large: Alex España
• SLT Parent Alternate: Jhoanna Wade
The SMS PTA, and the entire SMS Community, would like to congratulate all of our graduating 5th Graders and 8th Graders. It has been a year of incredible growth and excitement at SMS, and our 5th Graders and 8th Graders lead the way.
OVER $17,000 RAISED FOR THE SMS PTA!
The On-Line Auction raised over $17,000 … that is $4,000 better than last year. Our community rocks … and so do Jhoanna Wade and Jennifer Laing, whose tireless efforts, insanely long hours and dedication made this amazing Auction so Successful. Thank you both, from a very grateful PTA Executive Board and SMS Community.
Family contributions are the most important source of income for the Special Music School PTA, Inc.
Your generosity and support enables the PTA to be a partner, along with the Department of Education and Kaufman Music Center, in providing your child an exceptional educational experience. Our suggested PTA contribution this year is $450 per student. The SMS PTA holds an IRS designation of a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Contributions to the SMS PTA are TAX-DEDUCTIBLE.
Go to SMS PTA DONATIONS page for more detailed information and PTA DONATIONS REQUEST FORM.
If you have any questions please contact the SMS PTA Co-Treasurers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our After School Pages for Information and Links to: Launch, Chess, Karate, Lucy Moses and Other Suggestions!
to help you navigate your student’s After School needs.
- NY Times Article on Music’s impact on education: “Is Music the Key to Success?” Read article here.
- Community School District 3 website posts Middle School Admissions Process Calendar. Click here for details.
- NYC Department of Education Releases First Ever Teacher Preparation Program Reports. To read more, click here!
- NDI is back at SMS. The D.O.E. and PTA sponsor the program, but, NDI still needs added support. Please read more about them, their programs and what you can do to help. Click here for all links and information.
- Schools Unite Network (“Sun”) report on information from the NYPD regarding how to prevent and address bullying. Visit the Sun Page for a complete report and links.
Last year, our BoxTops 4 Education campaign raised over $500 for SMS. That is $500 of free money for the school. Now, what can be easier, or sweeter, than that. Please, keep collecting the coupons … we will start collecting them again in the Fall. Lots of brands now offer multiple box box tops on single packages. It just keeps getting easier and easier! Visit the BoxTops 4 Education page if you have any questions. Thank You.
Click Here for D.O.E. Links and Parent Resources.
The New York City Department of Education (DOE) serves more than 1.1 million students and their families in over 1,700 schools. We are committed to providing useful information to parents and families and offering them multiple opportunities to participate in our City’s public school programs and initiatives. This overview is designed to explain the Common Core Learning Standards and how they relate to your child’s education.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON CORE LEARNING STANDARDS?
Learning standards describe what students should know and be able to do in each grade. Over the next few years, New York and more than 40 other states across the country will transition to a new set of learning standards called the Common Core. These new standards provide a clear picture of what students need to learn each year in order to graduate from high school ready to succeed in college and careers.
The Common Core standards were developed by educators and other experts based on research and lessons learned from top-performing countries. The standards describe the skills and knowledge our students need to succeed in a rapidly changing world, including the ability to think creatively, solve real-world problems, make effective arguments, and engage in debates.
For complete PDF of article, click here.